Website Heifer International
- Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
- The position is responsible for establishing and managing Communication activities including public relations within Rwanda, including providing background information, Heifer Rwanda Program intervention information, and facilitating media to access Rwanda Program information in order to increase its exposure in the press and electronic media publications and programming.
- She/he will Liaise with the HQ office Communications Department to coordinate and amplify messages and communications. The position is also responsible for ensuring that project information is packaged, disseminated, and utilized by appropriate users in conformity with the Country‘s program agenda, systems, and procedures.
Essential character traits
- Analytical, pragmatic, self-motivated, attentive to details, and team player.
Responsibilities & Deliverables
Communication and Coordination (30%)
- Communicate and implement a communication networking strategy for Heifer programs.
- Collect and share program information including program background, post to the Heifer’s website information, successful stories, media reports and publications, etc.
- Coordinate donor and volunteer activities, including regular communications, visits, events, study tours, etc.
- Develop collegial connections with media representatives for directing their interests to Heifer accomplishments in Rwanda.
- Provide recommendations to senior management staff on media strategies, public statements and other information matters.
- Develop and nurture good working partnerships and linkages with NGOs, government agencies, local institutions and other like-minded organizations to advance the mission of Heifer.
- Timely disseminate information.
- Good working relationship and linkage is maintained with Government, media, NGO’S and other stakeholders.
- Annual, quarterly, and monthly report are produced in a most professional attractive way. Systems of information flow and communications is established and maintained.
- Develop publications such as brochures, leaflets, corporate brochures, annual reports for shareholders, newsletters, and magazines.
- Prepare promotion materials and Promote Heifer through Effective channels.
- Heifer activities and success stories are known to farmers, government, stakeholders, and the community at large through the production and distribution of promotional materials.
- Working closely with Heifer regional communicators and the focal points in global-level communications teams based in HQ on communications initiatives and messaging.
Project support (20%)
- Document and communicate project activities such as POG ceremonies, monitoring and evaluation activities, launch and closeout of projects.
- Provide technical guidance on documenting project activities/ events.
- Project activities and events are
documented in a most accurate and professional manner.
- Support in gathering information for reports as required.
Managing of Communication materials (20%)
- Maintaining communication materials such as photographs, films (both soft and hard Copies), and recording materials such cameras.
- Develop and maintain a stakeholder database.
- Communication and information materials are well managed in google one drive and remain in best quality at all times.
- Maintaining and updating communication and networking files.
- Acting as a country spokesperson for heifer, developing news-worthy messages, organizing press events, handling interviews requests, and providing responses to requests from media relating to heifer CO and its work.
- Carry out other duties that may be assigned to you in the interest of Heifer International.
- Bachelor’s in Public Relations, Mass Communications, or related field, plus five (5) years of related experience.
- Master’s degree in a similar field preferred with at least 4 years of practical working experience in communication and networking. Work experience in the NGO world is an added advantage.
Most Critical Proficiencies
- Good analytical skills and ability to verify the information.
- Excellent qualities and management, communication and interpersonal skills.
- A good understanding and sensitivity to issues associated with poverty, hunger and environment, and knowledge of the context to which non-profit organizations operate.
- Ability to promote the vision and strategic goals of Heifer
- Computer proficient in word processing, spreadsheets, presentation tools, electronic mail and Internet software (Microsoft Office preferred).
- Strong organizational skills.
- Skilled at strategic thinking and anticipating future developments and trends to incorporate them into organizational plans.
- Demonstrated proficiency in English, French, Kinyarwanda and Kiswahili oral and written.
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands
- Preparing and presenting documents in a well-designed and attractive format with superior attention to detail.
- Ability to lead teams effectively and exhibit strong conflict resolution skills.
- Proven team and customer care skills with the ability to train and work cooperatively with a diverse staff, including field staff in several locations.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling Heifer’s values and ethical standards.
- Openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues both within and outside of Rwanda.
- May require constant sitting and moving; working at a computer for extended periods.
- Working with sensitive information and maintaining confidentiality.
- Performing multiple tasks with minimal supervision.
- Willingness to work with a flexible schedule.
- Willingness to travel both locally and internationally.
How to Apply
- For more information and job application details, see; Heifer International Communications Specialist Jobs in Rwanda