Life is full of so many uncertainties, risk of loss and hazards that are inevitable. Sadly all these happen when we least expect them. Since man cannot always go for fundraisers for solace, one should be prepared in case of any unforeseen occurrences. NHIF is one of the best precautionary measures that can be put in place to weather the storm. Therefore, knowing how to check NHIF account status online to find correct details is a must!
National Hospital Insurance Fund or NHIF is a parastatal of the Kenyan government which was established in 1966. The main aim for setting up this fund was to offer a feasible NHIF payment plan to citizens in the country in a bid to improve health care and to make it more accessible.
How to check NHIF account status
The biggest question that most NHIF clients ask is, how do I see my NHIF statement online? In the recent past, mainstream media has been reporting about the various changes and reviews that are taking place within the National Hospital Insurance Fund. As a result, the NHIF Payment options have been stretched out and members have to dig a little deep into their pockets.
The primary change that has been experienced by the National Hospital Insurance Fund is a system upgrade. Thanks to technology, service delivery has become more efficient, quick and instant. There is no need to walk into your nearest NHIF branch to check NHIF status. You can seamlessly check NHIF statement online from the comfort of your home or wherever you are.
There are three ways to check NHIF balance. One is the conventional walking into their offices and having the attendant go through your account and give you the details you want to know. This is obviously outdated. The other two ways are more ideal as you will realize from the details below.
1. How to check NHIF account status online on the official site
Apparently, all organizations or institutions regardless of whether they are government or privately owned have a website where they post their services among other things for the world to know.
NHIF has also embraced the use of technology to provide information about its services and operations as well as terms and conditions. Here is the step by step analysis of how to check NHIF account status online:
- Get to the NHIF official website.
- Sign up to gain access: if you are visiting the site for the very first time, you need to first register in order to receive the services. There are three paramount requirements: the NHIF card numbers, a valid email address and a working phone number in case they would like to reach up to you for enquiries or other reasons.
- Create a password: you will use every time you log onto the portal. It should be easy to remember yet not so obvious. However, it can be reset in case you have completely forgotten your password for the NHIF account status online enquiry.
- Log onto the NHIF self-service portal and proceed to get your NHIF account status online.
2. How to check NHIF account status online using a mobile phone
A mobile phone is one of the electronic devices that have a central position in the life of human beings. One of the many services a mobile phone offers is the ability to check NHIF account status online. It is an accurate and convenient service so long as all the details are entered right. It is very easy to have your NHIF account contribution status via your phone. Here is how to go about it:
- Go to the main menu on your mobile phone and select the message icon.
- This opens the message thread for inbox, at the top there is a compose prompt, click on it.
- At the message space, type ID, a space followed by the ID number or the Passport number if applicable. For example, ID 123456.
- Send the message to 21101 which is NHIF recipient.
- Information regarding your NHIF account status will be processed and send back to you in a text message.
This is the easiest way to check the NHIF account status. However, a service charge of Kshs. 10 applies.
3. Checking NHIF statement via email
It is also possible to check NHIF statement via email. Use the email firstname.lastname@example.org. to request an NHIF statement.
NHIF payment options
There are several NHIF payment options. The first option is to access the nhif.or.ke pay online portal and make the payments. It is pretty easy to use because it gives you leads on what to do until the money is received and an acknowledgement report is sent to you. This is one of the fastest payment modes.
Secondly, a bank standing order can be executed to have funds channelled from your personal account to the NHIF account monthly on command without failure so long as the account has some money. This is when the employer does not pay the contributions although ordinarily it is deducted directly from their payslip by the employer.
NHIF payment can also be made through the use of mobile money transfer services: M-Pesa, Airtel Money and Equitel. Money is loaded to the individual mobile phone number and then transferred to the National Hospital Insurance Fund through the NHIF paybill number. Here are the procedures to follow:
How to pay for NHIF using M-Pesa
If you have money in your M-Pesa, follow the above below on how to pay NHIF using M-Pesa:
- Go to M-Pesa menu and select the pay bill option
- Enter the NHIF M-Pesa pay bill number, 200222
- Enter your ID card number in the subsequent lead
- Key in the amount – NHIF payment monthly contribution
- Enter the M-Pesa pin and send
- A confirmation message is then sent and yet another message acknowledging that the money is received.
How to pay for NHIF using Airtel Money
Here are the steps for paying NHIF bill via Airtel Money Kenya:
- Select make payments from the menu
- Go to pay bill and select other
- Enter NHIF pay bill number 823263
- Type in the amount you wish to pay
- Enter your pin number
- Use your ID number as reference
- Click send and wait for a confirmation message.
How to pay NHIF through Equitel Money
Equity Bank provides its clients with a mobile sim card that allows making communications and money transactions. Here is how you can use the card to pay for NHIF:
- Select “My Money” on the Equitel menu
- Choose “Send/Pay”
- Select the bank account you wish to pay from
- Go to “Paybill”
- Select to others then “M-Pesa” to send the money o your M-Pesa then use the M-Pesa procedure above.
These are the 2021 NHIF rates:
If you have been contributing to NHIF or want to sign up for the service, the above tips on how to check NHIF account status online will make your search for all the necessary details fast, safe and convenient. The moment you understand all the steps, you won’t need to rush to any NHIF brick and mortar offices to beat the queues.
DISCLAIMER: This article is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on to make decisions of any kind. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!
Dailyjobs.co,tz posted an article about the NHIF rates 2021 for employees. Obiero National Insurance Fund (NHIF) is a state parastatal agency under the ministry of health. It accommodates various healthcare needs for several citizens. The fund’s principal mandate is to provide a medical cover to its members and their stated dependants such as children and spouses. Recently, the agency changed its terms by incorporating new NHIF rates for salaried individuals.