Website United Nations Office of Internal Oversight Services
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Peacekeeping Headquarters Audit Section in the Office of Internal Oversight Services (OIOS) in New York. Audits/assignments are undertaken in the areas of finance, administration and operations. Incumbents at this level work individually or as a member of an audit team and report directly to the Chief of Section.
The Office of Internal Oversight Services (OIOS) is the internal oversight body of the United Nations (UN) and assists the Secretary-General in fulfilling his oversight responsibilities in respect of the resources and staff of the Organization through the provision of audit, investigation, inspection and evaluation services.
The Auditor will be responsible for the following duties:
- Lead audits/special reviews with respect to large and complex operations. Identify and allocates tasks, coordinate/monitor work, control audit/assignment resources, consolidate results, etc
- Prepare risk-based audits/reviews. Plan programmes in accordance with OIOS standards
- Supervise and coach staff throughout the audit/review with the view to ensuring conformity with OIOS standards in all phases of the audit process
- Empower and challenge more junior staff to actively participate in the management of the audit/review
- Create data visualizations for internal or external use to support report writing and presentations
- Collect, organize, manage and disseminate information with attention to detail and accuracy
- Conduct data collection and analysis using data analysis tools
- Document, evaluate and test systems and controls to determine their adequacy and effectiveness, ensuring (i) compliance with policies and procedures, (ii) accomplishment of management’s objectives, (iii) reliability and integrity of information, (iv) economical use of resources, and (v) safeguarding of assets
- Prepare working papers for review by the Chief of Section
- Develop and discuss findings, agree on recommendations and timelines for corrective action with responsible officer of operations audited, and monitor the implementation status of agreed recommendations
- Draft audit or assignment reports for Organization-wide consumption, including senior management and the General Assembly
- Prepare presentations, using available technology tools (e.g., PowerPoint)
- Make presentations of audit results to senior management of IAD and senior management of the operation audited
- Monitor the status of audit recommendations
- Appraise adequacy of follow-up action taken on audit findings and recommendations
- Maintain and update audit programs
- Identify training needs, develop training programs and materials, and conduct workshops with respect to auditing approaches and techniques
- Evaluate staff performance; perform management review of work performed by assistant auditors, prior to Chief of Section review
- Perform other related duties as determined by the Chief of Section
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, finance, accounting or related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Job – Specific Qualification
- Certification as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Chartered Accountant (CA), Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE), Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA) or equivalent is desirable.
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible professional experience in audit, finance, accounting, administration, statistics, computer science or related area is required.
- Audit experience is required.
- Experience in analysis of complete sets of data to identify anomalies and trends is required.
- Experience in using data analytics tools such as IDEA, ACL, and Excel for analysis of entire populations of data is also required.
- Experience in public sector auditing is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this post, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
To apply for this job please visit careers.un.org.