Website United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS)
The Government of the Central African Republic (CAR) has secured support and funding from the World Bank to implement this road rehabilitation project. The Government of the Central African Republic, represented by the Ministry of Public Works and Road Maintenance (MTPER) has requested UNOPS to design and implementation the “Projet d’Urgence de Rétablissement des Infrastructures et de la Connectivité en Centrafrique” (PURIC), specifically in the North-Eastern basin of the Central African Republic for emergency works on the reopening of the Ndélé-Birao National Road No. 8 and connecting it to to AmDafok on the border with Sudan.
Deputy Project Manager directly impacts on achievement of project results by adhering to project management methods and strategies, reducing risks, cutting costs and improving success rates. This consequently reinforces the visibility and image of UNOPS as an effective service provider in project services and management and strengthens its competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services.
Project Delivery and Performance:
- Develop and maintain project plans
- Implement approved project plans (including the establishment of milestones) within tolerances set by the project board
- Embed sustainability dimensions including social and gender inclusion, environmental and economic aspects into project life cycle
- Manage the production of the required products, taking responsibility for overall progress and use of resources and initiating corrective action where necessary
- Liaise with any external suppliers or account managers
- Authorize Work Packages
- Advise the Project Board and OC Manager of any deviations from the plan
- Identify and manage risks so that maximum benefit to client and stakeholders is achieved
- Manage and review product quality and ensure products are accepted
- Monitor and evaluate performance of service providers
- Identify and report potential business opportunities for UNOPS to supervisor
- Identify and report threats to UNOPS internal business case to supervisor
- Follow the Project Management Cycle Instructions and ensure that all organizational policy is complied with (Organizational Directives and Administrative Instructions)
- Prepare/adapt the following plans for approval by the Project Board: I. Project Initiation Documentation; II. Stage/Exception Plans and relevant Product Descriptions
- Prepare the following reports:
- Highlight Reports
- End Stage Report
- Operational Closure Checklist
- End Project Report
- Handover Report
- Maintain the following: Electronic Blue File;Procurement, HR and Finance files as required by those practices as per OD12.
- Ensure that all expenditure comply with UNOPS Financial Rules and Regulations (FRR).
- Manage budgets, cash flow and obligations to ensure that deliverables are met and payments to contractors and personnel are received on time.
- Understand and manage UNOPS overheads, allocable charges, and related corporate charges as they apply to the project
- Understand the unique structures of the UN and budget appropriately for personnel
- Manage and remain accountable for expenditures against the budget (based on accurate financial reports)
- Where the Deputy Project Manager has no delegation as a committing officer, s/he retains these responsibilities and will monitor and instruct/request others to carry out the relevant commitments and disbursements.
Coordination of Procurement of goods and services:
- Coordinates strategic Planning, implementation and oversight of procurement of goods and services in coordination with the CDOH procurement unit;
- Develops and maintains the strategic role of procurement in provision of cost effective and efficient supply and service solutions that contribute to achievement of broader office and organizational objectives;
- Adheres to tools and guidelines to assist customer units/portfolios in procurement activities. Ensures that risk assessments are undertaken as needed particularly for large value procurement contracting in consultation with relevant business owner;
- Supports the Procurement Advisor to secure compliance with UNOPS Financial Rules & Regulations, General Terms & Conditions, and Auditor’s recommendations/ observations in all procurement activities;
- Supports in preparations of all Invitations to Bid, Requests for Proposal, Award Recommendations above $50K, CPC Submissions (HQCPC/LCPC) and Contracts;
- Coordinates development of procurement plans and strategies for the project;
- Supports in overseeing adherence to contractual agreements, recommend amendments and contract extensions, advise concerned parties with respect to contractual rights/obligations;
- Assists in development and maintenance of appropriate supplier performance management system.
Monitoring and reporting:
- Ensure that the project(s) produces the required products within the specified tolerance of time, cost, quality, scope, risk and benefits.
- The Deputy Project Manager is also responsible for the project producing a result capable of achieving the benefits defined in the Business Case. Contribute to the overall business targets and needs.
- Ensure all project team members track and regularly update milestones and targets for the duration of projects’ life span
- Establish solid working relationship with the project board (Executive, Senior Users and Senior Suppliers), client and key stakeholders
- Manage communications and ensure stakeholders are aware of project activities, progress, exceptions and are in a position to accept handover products
- Advise the client on issues that may impact the achievement of their outcomes (including issues of sustainability and post project requirements such as maintenance)
- Manage the information flows between the Project Board/OC Director and the project(s)
- Work with internal stakeholders to ensure projects comply with audit requirements
- Work with procurement/purchasing staff to ensure effective interface with suppliers’ quality systems
- Coordinate quality reviews of project documents and deliverables
- Provide quality control for management outputs (project documents, reports, etc.)
- The project management processes are designed to deliver maximum accountability, transparency and results. If a project or processes is not in line with this, it is the responsibility of the PM to raise the issue to a supervisor
Knowledge management and innovation:
- Encourage routine and effective capacity building activities are conducted in order to build the long-term and sustainable capacity of staff.
- Actively interact with other Project Managers and the wider PM community to share case studies, lessons learned and best practices
- Contribute to the oversight of lessons learned procedures, ensuring that lessons learnt are shared in a timely and appropriate manner. Participate in the relevant Communities of Practice
- Research and logging of lessons learned throughout the project life span.
- Provide feedback to Practice Groups on policy, supporting guidance with an aim towards continuous improvement of UNOPS policies
- Contribute to innovation and the adaptation of best practice standards of sustainability and quality
- Lead and motivate the project management team
- Ensure that behavioural expectations of team members are established
- Ensure that performance reviews are conducted fairly, accurately and timely
- Select, recruit and train team as required and take into account gender parity and diversity objectives.
- Ensure safety and security for all project personnel and comply with UNDSS standards
- Create, foster and role model a culture of respect and zero tolerance for discrimination, abuse of authority, harrasement, sexual harrasement and sexual exploitation and abuse. Ensure accountability for actions and perform duties in accordance with protection mechanisms and action plans, as expected by UNOPS policies, standards and commitments.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree) or PhD in Engineering, Project Management or other relevant discipline is required;
- First level university degree (Bachelor’s degree) in Engineering, Project Management or other relevant discipline in combination with two (2) additional years of relevant professional experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree;
- A relevant combination of academic credentials and/or industry certifications and qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the university education.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience in Project Management is required;
- Experience working in emergency, post-crisis environment and/or with UN missions is a strong asset;
- Experience in Engineering and construction with UNOPS is a strong asset;
- Proven experience in financial management is an asset.
- Proficient in MS Project and Schedule Analysis is an asset
- Strong analytical capabilities with the ability to manage tasks associated with the development of projects is an asset
- Experience in planning and applying Health & Safety procedures is an asset
- Knowledge of quality assurance methodologies is an asset
- Experience working with UNOPS an asset
- Fluency in English is required
- Fluency in French is required.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.unops.org.