Digitalisation and Trade Advisor
As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
The East African Community (EAC) Secretariat and the German Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) collaborate in the EAC project “Digitalisation for Trade and Integration in East Africa” (DIGEAT). The objective of the project is to simplify cross-border access to the labour markets in the EAC Partner States for engineers in the EAC. To achieve this objective the project aims to make use of information and communication technologies (eg digital professional cards, eregistries, online information platforms) and to improve and harmonize the regulatory framework conditions for movement of professionals. This is building on previous achievements of the EAC, especially the Common Market Protocol and the Mutual Recognition Agreement for the profession of Engineers. In the project, the GIZ team advises the EAC Secretariat in the implementation of the project, working closely together with the responsible national and regional authorities and professional associations of engineers.
GIZ is looking to fill the position of Digitalisation and Trade Advisor for the DIGEAT project with an East African Community citizen.
Duty station: Arusha, Tanzania
Fixed term contract
- The technical implementation of the project in its work areas, including regulatory environment and development and implementation of ICT tools in consultation with the Project Manager
- Advisory to the partner EAC Secretariat in the cooperation management and implementation of the project
- Support to the project manager in reporting and communication on the project’s progress towards the partner, the commissioner BMZ, the German Embassy, GIZ as well as monitoring and evaluation
- GIZ internal knowledge management and technical exchange and networking on the topic with relevant regional and international expert communities
Regulatory Framework Conditions
- supports the establishment, in close consultation with the partner, of a multistakeholder forum with national and regional organisations necessary for the successful implementation of the project
- conducts through a consultancy the necessary background research and consultations with partners and stakeholders on the current status of the regulatory framework
- develops a guideline for the regional exchange of data regarding the mobility of engineers across borders for work
- organises trainings for representatives from authorities and engineering associations regarding the framework conditions for the mobility of engineers across the EAC Partner States
ICT Tools and Services
- creates process analyses in the EAC Partner States for the mobility of engineers to identify and assess the needs and requirements for the introduction and improvement of ICT tools and services
- Identifies national needs in support of process improvement and the subsequent implementation
- assists national boards of engineers with the digitalisation and harmonisation of their registers of engineers
- implements workshops to develop jointly with the partner and stakeholders the mechanism for data exchange
- organises trainings for users of the new to be developed and introduced digital tools and services
- develops a regional report on the mobility of engineers that will be published regularly
Regional networking and cooperation
- exchanges in regular dialogue with the key partners and stakeholders of the project on technical level on the project’s progress and implementation activities
- ensures cooperation and engagement with regional and international organizations on the project and its approach for the mobility of engineers
Knowledge management and M&E
- ensures knowledge transfer within the project and to other projects in the EAC Cluster as well as the wider GIZ network
- supports the monitoring and evaluation of project activities and results in line with the project’s objectives and indicators
- draws up reports and presentation documents for internal and external presentations
- prepares appropriate inputs for presentations and contributions to project reports including annual reports, and contributes to other reports required by the project manager and GIZ Head Office
- Master’s degree (PhD added advantage) in studies such as ICT, business, politics, international relations or any other field that is related to these and the required tasks
- 8 years demonstrative professional experience in a comparable position in a trade related area and with ICT experience, experience in mobility of professionals is a plus (provision of references for these experiences required)
- professional experience in regional integration, experience with the EAC or another regional economic community is a plus
- professional experience working with public authorities such as immigration, labour, ICT and industry associations, experience with regulators or associations for engineers is a plus
- professional experience in an international context and with international institutions; experience in development cooperation and with GIZ a plus
- very good working knowledge of standard office IT and computer applications (eg MS Office)
- fluent written and oral knowledge of English (German is a plus)
- Team player mentality, strong communication skills, intercultural competences, culture-sensitive, professional behaviour, humour
- willingness to undertake upskilling capacity building as agreed with the manager and in line with the personal development plan
Interested candidates should send their letter of application together with the CV and copies of academic certificates by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please use the subject line “DIGEAT Advisor”. Closing date for submission: 07.05.2022
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
GIZ Tanzania is an equal opportunities employer and encourages applications from all qualified and eligible candidates regardless of their gender, origin, religion/belief, disability, or any other minority group.