First Quantum Minerals
[ Type: FULL TIME , Industry: Mining , Category: Management ]
First Quantum Minerals
Deadline of this Job:
08 May 2022
Within Zambia , Solwezi , South – Central Africa
Date Posted: Monday, April 25, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
The incumbent will be responsible for providing drilling and blasting Engineering services including blast hole pattern, charging and initiation design to ensure that they meet ore control and optimal fragmentation standards. The incumbent will also be assigned with the coordination of internal resources to ensure compliance.
The holder of this position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
• Design, plan, monitor and report on all Drill & Blast activities to ensure productive and efficient mining operations.
• Produce accurate Drill & Blast designs in a timely manner, as defined by the 3 monthly and weekly plans.
• Under the direction of the Senior Drill Blast Engineer undertake Drill and Blast related project studies and investigations, monitoring, wall control blasting trials, electronic initiation designs, mine to mill analysis, and other related projects.
• Introduce innovative D&B Engineering techniques and products for continuous improvement.
• Be able to verify, analyze, and report blast performance data.
• Liaise with other departments on deliverables, inputs and stakeholder needs
• Ensure compliance and quality control.
• Champion operational quality control. Ensure holes are drilled to engineering planned depth, location and inclination desired blast results.
• Prepare, monitor, update production data associated with drilling and blasting activities.
• Review Q/A data, digging rates and blast videos to determine areas of further improvement.
• Ensure Blast Master Plans for the 3month forecast are produced in a timely manner.
• Review and analyze contractor shot reports identifying trends and inefficiencies.
• Consult and develop a close working relationship with the geotechnical Engineer in order to optimize pit wall stability.
• Develop a sense of continuous improvement, seek to streamline drill and blast process to increase productivity, quality and compliance.
• A minimum of a full Grade 12 Certificate.
• A Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Engineering in Mining from a recognized institution.
• EIZ Membership.
• A Minimum of 5 years’ experience in open cast mining with at least 3 years in a technical blasting Engineering role.
• Middle management experience.
• Technical Skills
• Valid Drivers License
• Ability to work in a team environment with many stakeholders.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to maintain self-discipline within a stressful environment.
• Ability to lead a multi-cultural environment.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
To apply for this job please visit firstquantumcareers.com.