Website United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
UN Women (UNW), grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the centre of all its efforts, the UN Women leads and coordinates the United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
UN Women plays an innovative and catalytic role in the State of Palestine since its inception in 1997. UN Women Palestine Office focuses its activities on one overarching goal, namely, to support the implementation at the national level of existing international commitments to advance gender equality in line with the national priorities. In support of this goal, and thoroughly taking into consideration the specificities of the Palestinian context, UN Women concentrates its efforts and interventions toward the realisation of following strategic goals: Mainstreaming gender in governance, peace and security; Supporting women’s economic security and rights; and Promoting women’s rights and protection against violence.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the Palestine Country Office (CO) Special Representative and Deputy Director of Financial Management in Headquarters (HQ), the daily supervision of the Operations Manager, the Finance Associate is responsible for the execution of a wide range of financial services and administrative processes in the CO, ensuring timeliness, efficiency and transparent use of financial resources and delivery of services in accordance with organizational financial rules, regulations, policies, procedures and approved allocations. The Finance Associate promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UN Women rules and regulations, standard practices and guidelines.
The Finance Associate works in close collaboration with the Programme and Operations Team as well as with the Operations and Programme teams in UN Women HQ for solving complex finance-related issues and information delivery.
Implement financial strategies, in full compliance of UN Women rules, regulations, policies, and recording and reporting systems
- Perform duties in full compliance with UN Women financial regulations and rules, policies and standard operating procedures, including internal controls;
- Review and verify financial transactions, activities, and documentation; taking corrective actions as needed and reporting any unusual activities;
- Monitor financial exceptions reports for unusual activities or transaction, investigate anomalies and report to the supervisor conclusions and/or present recommendations for actions/decisions;
- Update the office’s direct project management costing (DPMC) tool on yearly basis, and ensure proper allocation of DPMC across all ongoing projects;
- Draft reports on financial status, procedures, exchange rates, costs and expenditures;
- Follow-up on audit recommendations to monitor implementation of corrective actions;
- Collect, verify and present information and data for use in the planning of financial resources and the formulation of the Country Office (CO) programme work plans, budgets, proposals on implementation arrangements and execution modalities;
- Provide assistance in Annual Work Plan entry in Results Management System (RMS) as required.
- Provide advice and recommend solutions to a wide range of financial issues;
- Monitor the proper functioning of the financial resources management system for office and programmatic budgets and resources;
- Implement cost saving and reduction strategies;
Prepare and administer CO budgets in full compliance of UN Women rules, regulations, policies, and recording and reporting systems
- Formulate the budget, control allotments, monitor expenditures, and prepare revisions according to the needs of the CO;
- Track the appropriate and timely use of financial resources;
- Prepare cost recovery documents or bills for the services provided by UN Women to other programmes or organizations;
- Create projects in Atlas, prepare and review budget revisions, revise project awards and status; and determine unutilized funds;
- Implement and maintain control mechanism for development projects through monitoring budgets preparation and modifications and budgetary status;
- Maintain internal expenditure control system;
- Undertake corrective actions on un-posted vouchers, including vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions and unapproved vouchers. Respond to RO /HQ requests to resolve financial data issues;
- Prepare VAT reimbursements with adequate documentation support;
- Input data in Atlas and monitor status. Keep stakeholders and clients informed for timely action and/or decisions;
- Manage petty cash fund, cash impress level.
Provide finance support to the Programme and Operations team
- Review accounts receivables for UN Women projects and follow-up with project managers and finance section at regional office and/or headquarters on contributions, deposits creation in Atlas and their application to AR pending items;
- Prepare PO and non-PO vouchers for development projects; by ensuring correctness, completeness, timeliness, and full compliance to UN Women policies, guidelines, rules and regulations;
- Prepare General Ledger journal entries (GLJEs) and Accounts Payable Journal Vouchers (APJVs) from proper supporting documents authorized by the budget owners and project managers;
- Record and post transactions in Atlas, process travel claims, MPOs, and other entitlements;
- Monitor the setup of budgets in ATLAS to ensure they are in accordance with budgets agreed with donors and are input into ATLAS at the detailed Activity ID level;
- Monitor each month over-expenditure of budgets and follow up with Budget Owners;
- Monitor regularly transactions posted to projects ensuring actual expenditure has been recorded against correct budget category and activity, take timely corrective actions as required;
- Monitor proper follow up of advances to implementing partners, review their financial reports together with project managers; Ensure proper verification and certification of the financial reports carried out by project managers are in compliance with UN Women policies and guidelines;
- Monitor the financial status and under the guidance of the Operations Manager implement control mechanisms for management/development projects;
- Monitor and proper follow up of all the financial items in Month-end and Year-end closure instructions status and under the guidance of the Operations Manager, take correction actions as required
- Ensure timely processing of VAT exemption documents for eligible vendors’ invoices;
- Keep stakeholders and clients informed for timely actions/decisions and review status reports for quality control;
- Provide information inputs to financial reports for Regional Office, HQ Finance and stakeholders
- Associate revenue and expenditure in commitment control for non-core projects.
- Provide inputs and take necessary actions to facilitate timely financial project closure;
- Support financial donor reporting by providing timely information and taking necessary actions as required by UN Women Virtual Global Service Centre for financial donor reporting;
Provide administrative support to Resource Mobilization
- Compile and process information from donors, CO, and programme team, as inputs to various databases and documents.
- Prepare drafts for cost sharing agreements including conditions of contributions within resource mobilization efforts, adhering to standard agreements where possible. Follow up on contributions within the CO resource mobilization efforts.
- Review accurateness of budgets submitted to donors; act as a member in technical evaluation committees for the review of partner organizations proposals and budgets under programmatic call for proposals exercises.
Facilitate knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Conduct training and/or helping organize training events and activities; as well as participate in trainings;
- Collect and compile lessons learned and best practices in financial management and services. Disseminate to clients and stakeholders as appropriate to build capacity and knowledge;
- Contribute to financial business operational practices and management innovations.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Timely, complete and accurate financial transactions/activities/documentation
- Timely and accurate advice on UN Women financial rules and regulations
- Timely and regular monitoring of financial resources management system and timely expenditure of financial resources
- Timely and accurate support to budget formulation and controlling allotments
- Timely and accurate monitoring of internal expenditures control systems
- Timely and accurate drafting of management financial reports
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Completion of secondary education is required.
- Specialized national or international certification in accounting and finance is an asset
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting is an asset.
- Successful completion of UN Women Accounting and Finance Test is required.
- At least 6 years of progressively responsible experience in finance and accounting;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Experience in the use of ATLAS and/or Oracle ERP systems is an asset.
- Fluency in English and Arabic is required;
- Knowledge of Hebrew is an asset;
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.