Website Inter-American Development Bank (IDB)
Background: The Human Resources Department (HRD) is responsible for the administration and development of the human capital of the IDB Group. The main functions of the department include managing the entire employee lifecycle, overseeing the implementation of the “Human Capital Strategy”, and implementing programs and methodologies in direct support of IDB’s results-based business model. HRD is also dedicated to implementing its mission to deliver human-centered experiences and strategically partnering with professionals who are passionate about improving lives in Latin America and the Caribbean. Working with us, you will be surrounded by a diverse group of people who have years of experience in all types of development fields, including transportation, health, gender and diversity, communications, and much more.
The team: The Talent Management Division provides technical and functional advice to HRD and Senior Management on issues related to Human Resources internal strategies, programs, and initiatives. The Labor Relations team prevents and resolves work-related issues and grievances, provides advice to the IDB Group on employment-related actions and conducts initiatives to promote institutional labor relations.
We are currently looking for a Sr. Specialist/Lead Specialist to head the Labor Relations function with strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as leadership competencies. As Group Head you will lead the Labor Relations Team and work in close coordination with the HRD Management Team.
What you’ll do
- Provide technical advice to HRD Management, HRD Officers, and client areas on matters related to personnel actions and the application of the corresponding staff rules. Interact directly with main stakeholders, including the Legal Department, members of Senior Management and the Board of Directors, as needed.
- Oversee the role of the Labor Relations team in matters related to the IDB Group’s conflict resolution system. Such tasks include the management of grievances, the representation of the Administration in mediation processes and the coordination with other relevant Offices of the system, ensuring that cases are handled in accordance with the applicable policies.
- Provide technical input to the modification of HR staff rules, guidelines, and procedures.
- Draft documents for review by HRD Management, as well as IDB Group stakeholders regarding corporate matters involving sensitive personnel actions or staff rules application in which HRD intervention or opinion is being sought.
- Lead building capacity efforts within the HRD team for management of complex personnel actions and policy application.
- Provide analysis, recommendations, and options to the HRD General Manager regarding high-impact decisions, using data to build concrete insights and communicate clearly and concisely.
- Provide leadership and direction to the members of the Labor Relations team in the preparation of documents and the implementation related to various complex personnel actions, including, but not limited to, transfers, hiring, mutually agreed separation agreements and performance management, for both national and international employees.
- Conduct mutually agreed separation processes, within established staff rules.
- Establish goals and expectations for the Labor Relations team and monitor quality of outputs. Coach and develop team members, providing timely feedback and guidance to optimize performance and achieve goals, ensuring consistent advice to client areas.
- Manage the implementation of the Labor Relations team’s projects.
What you’ll need
Citizenship: You are a citizen of one of our 48-member countries. We may offer assistance with relocation and visa applications for you and your eligible dependents.
Consanguinity: You have no family members (up to fourth degree of consanguinity and second degree of affinity, including spouse) working at the IDB Group.
Education: Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Human Resources, Law, Business Administration, or other fields relevant to the responsibilities of the role.
Experience: Minimum of 8 years of relevant experience, including formal training or experience in labor/employee relations. Knowledge of the IDB Group’s staff rules and conflict resolution system is desirable, in addition to:
- Experience working/partnering with Department Managers and building strong, collaborative relationships across HRD and with client Departments and stakeholders. Ability to influence across non-direct reporting teams.
- Analytical and strategic mindset with ability to simplify complex information and data quickly.
- Strong written communication skills. Attention to detail and strong strategic execution.
- Experience in drafting documents and presentations for consideration to Senior Management Committees is highly desirable.
Languages: Fluent in English and Spanish; additional knowledge of Portuguese and/or French is a plus.