Website United Nations Secretariat
This position is located in the United Against Racism Team with the Department of Global Communications (DGC) and the Department of Management Strategy, Policy and Compliance (DMSPC), in New York. The intern will report to the Senior Programme Management Officer through the Communications and Engagement Officer.
In February 2022, the Secretary-General launched a Strategic Action Plan on Addressing Racism and Promoting Dignity for All at the United Nation Secretariat. The action plan, by extension, aims to address discrimination in all its forms in the Secretariat and bring about cultural change that will transform the Organization into a workplace where discrimination is actively addressed, where there is accountability, and where it provides a dignified workplace for all and ensures that everyone has an equal opportunity to participate in the work of the United Nations, and the that Organization benefits from the diverse perspectives, skills and life experiences of its personnel.
A key component of the action plan is to raise awareness and knowledge on how discrimination manifests itself in the Organization and what personnel can do to address it and facilitate diversity, equity and inclusion. The Graphic Design Intern will help ideate and evolve the UAR brand and design diverse media, assets and collaterals including print and digital.
The internship will normally be for a duration of six months. All interested and qualified applicants who can start the internship between May 2022 and June 2022 are encouraged to apply with a specific reference to the preferred dates of internship in the cover letter.
The internship is UNPAID and full-time. Interns work five days per week (35 hours).
Under the supervision and guidance of the Communications and Engagement Officer, specific tasks may include:
- Participation in the strategic briefing and creative ideation process, bringing new ideas to the table while offering a
- fresh perspective design themes and concepts.
- Develop branding materials, including infographics, data visualizations, brochures, posters, banners, invitations,
- flyers, logos, and designs and awareness and learning materials as needed.
- Create design collaterals and assets on awareness and learning and digital platforms, including social media and
- Create graphically engaging presentations and materials.
- Build repostitories for images and/or gifs and videos for communications activities and assist in maintaining graphics
- and photo databases.
- Participate in organizing and/or setting up for any special events as necessary.
- The role will also collaborate with other members of the Organization to ensure synergy across departments and
- Support the formatting and design of documents in word, PowerPoint, and excel.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
To qualify for an internship with the United Nations Internship Programme, applicants must meet one of the following requirements: As per the provisions of ST/AI/2020/1, applicants to the United Nations internship programme must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
- Must be enrolled in, or have completed, a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher) in Graphic Design, Media, Visual Arts and other related fields; or
- Be enrolled in, or have completed, the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum bachelor’s level or equivalent) in Graphic Design, Media, Visual Arts and other related fields.
- The candidates must have great attention to details, deadline oriented and a cooperative attitude and the ability to work as part of a team. The candidates should also be computer literate in standard software applications, including familiarity with content management systems, graphic design and photo editing software applications (Adobe Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop) and Microsoft Office. They should also have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and have demonstrated the ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which includes willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
- No working experience is required to apply for the United Nations Internship Programme. Your training, education, advance course work or skills should benefit the United Nations during your internship.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position(s) advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
To apply for this job please visit careers.un.org.