Website United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS)
The Monitoring Evaluation Accountability and Learning (MEAL)/Knowledge Management (KM) Specialist is part of the Country Action Team of the SUN Movement Secretariat. The purpose of this team is to support SUN Countries in advocacy, positioning, planning, multi-sector/stakeholder collaboration, resource mobilisation, implementation and monitoring and evaluation of their National Nutrition Plans, and accountability and learning..
The MEAL/Knowledge Management Specialist reports to the SMS Regional Representative, Africa Portfolio 1. The purpose of the role is to support and strengthen SUN Countries evidence-based policy making and implementation, including through implementation of the Movement’s Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) system.
This role helps to ensure policy and practice across the Movement is informed by country needs, with a focus on translating the political commitment of SUN Movement actors into coherent action in-country, aligned with national priorities.
This role is based in Dakar, Senegal, and is responsible for the Africa Portfolio 1 geographic region.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning:
- Facilitate and support SUN Countries, within the assigned geographic region, in the implementation of the overall MEAL Framework/Strategy.
- Contribute to the Joint Annual Assessment process in the Region/SUN Countries to ensure it captures progress in institutional and systemic shifts for nutrition, and helps to assess and identify capacity building, training and integration need
- Lead MEAL data analysis, for reports, assessments and data portals.
- Maintain the SUN MEAL database; review incoming data (for quality and programmatic compliance); ensure the quality of the database and ensure that MEAL data are readily available.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of the MEAL dashboard to increase and strengthen the quality and availability of SUN Country and programmatic data.
- Review outcome surveys, independent evaluations, and studies in the Region/SUN Countries to ensure that institutional and systemic change within countries is monitored, assessed and shared, on an annual basis, drawing on qualitative and quantitative data.
- Contribute to a periodic review of the implementation and operation of the monitoring and evaluation system(s); including the preparation of good practices and lessons learned.Organise and oversee field evaluations as required.
- Serve as a primary MEAL contact point to the assigned SUN Pooled Fund grantees, to support them in developing and implementing a results-based MEAL system in line with the SUN Movement Pooled Fund Global MEAL Framework.
- Ensure that each SUN grantee has a functional result-based MEAL system for the Pooled Fund Project.
- Conduct direct data auditing and verification, as well as programmatic spot check visits to grantees, to assure internal consistency and validity of programme activity monitoring data reported by all grantees.
- Review and verify MEAL findings and follow-up on implementation of the recommendations.
- Assess grantees’ capacity in MEAL systems and ensure adequate feedback to/from the grantees on data obtained from the MEAL system.
- Ensure that all grantees submit timely, regular and structured monitoring reports.
- Prepare quarterly, annual, and ad hoc programmatic progress updates for UNOPS, SUN Movement Secretariat, and donors.
- Supervise and coordinate the review and verification of MEAL funds.
- Advise the Pooled Fund Grant Selection Committee and act as subject matter specialist on grant review processes.
- Participate in grant negotiations, including submission of quality inputs required to ensure the grant agreement signature.
- Implement quality assurance tools (covering both programmatic and financial aspects) suitable to the grant recipient country/regional context.
- Perform strong quality assurance functions to ensure that all the planned project activities and outputs agreed between UNOPS and the grantees on project agreements are delivered on time, maintaining quality and ensuring value for money.
- Conduct field missions to the grant’s recipient countries to carry out direct programmatic and financial data verification as well as programmatic spot checks, and assess project progress, risk, challenges and lessons.
- Provide guidance and technical assistance to SUN Countries in the areas of planning, performance monitoring, accountability, learning, and reviews and reporting, promoting a “results” mindset.
- Review progress reports submitted by SUN Countries and provide feedback to improve quality and timeliness of reporting.
- Ensure alignment of reports with corporate and donor reporting requirements, templates and regulations
Innovation and Knowledge Management:
- Implement the knowledge management KM strategy in the Region/SUN Countries, tracking progress made, raising issues and making recommendations to address those issues.
- Collaborate with SUN knowledge management partners in the Region/SUN Counties, to ensure that SUN Country experiences and learning are documented and available to all SUN Countries.
- Develop learning initiatives/training that enhance MEAL capacity across the SUN Movement.
- Participate in the implementation of capacity building courses through workshops and on-the- job training on monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning, and reporting as required for stakeholders including grantees.
- Solicit case studies, lessons learned, success stories, and best practices for internal and external sharing through communication and advocacy channels and products.
- Provide input into success stories and best MEAL practices for inclusion in internal and external communication products.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in nutrition, public health, international development or other related social science discipline is required.
- A bachelor’s degree with a combination of two additional years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the master’s degree.
- Minimum five (5) years working on nutrition, health or related areas within international development is required.
- Demonstrated experience implementing M&E frameworks is required.
- Demonstrated experience in analytics and information management is required.
- Experience in providing monitoring and evaluation of multi partner programmes is desirable.
- Experience in knowledge management related to projects is desirable..
- Strong understanding of the development and communication environment in the Africa Region is desirable.
- Full working knowledge of English is essential.
- Knowledge of another official UNOPS language is an asset.