Website Lake Victoria Fisheries Organization (LVFO)
1.0 JOB TITLE/DESIGNATION
Project Operations and Administrative Officer / Principal Human Resource & Administrative Officer
2.0 BACKGROUND INFORMATION
Lake Victoria Fisheries Organization (LVFO) is an institution of the East African Community (EAC) charged with the coordination and harmonization of the management and development of fisheries and aquaculture in the EAC. It was formed by a Convention in 1994 with major amendments in 2016. It is accommodated under Article 9.3 of the EAC Treaty and registered as a regional fisheries management organization under the FAO UN Charter CAP 102. The overall objective of the LVFO is to promote sustainable management and development of fisheries and aquaculture to contribute to food security and economic growth in the EAC region.
The LVFO has received a Grant from the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) to implement a project titled ”Promoting Sustainable Technologies and Marketing Strategies to Increase Incomes and Reduce Food Losses in Small Fish Systems”. The overall objective of the Project is to achieve improved, inclusive and sustainable livelihoods and nutritious diets for rural communities dependent on small fish in Lake Victoria. The development objective is to reduce food losses, improve incomes and nutrition from small fish systems. The specific objectives are to:
- Promote green technologies for fishing, fish processing and preservation to ensure sustainable resources, environmental safety and improved livelihoods;
- Support marketing innovations to increase incomes and nutrition benefits from small fish; and
- Generate and disseminate knowledge for sustainable small fish systems and policy
It is agaist this background that LVFO Secretariat is recruiting a Project Operations and Administrative Officer to support the organization in the implementation of the project. The incumbent will also handle institute-wide Human Resource and Administrative functions of the organization as detailed in the Terms of Reference below.
3.0 JOB PURPOSE
The Project Operations and Administrative Officer / Principal Human Resource & Administrative Officer is responsible for providing effective and efficient operations, administrative and logistical support to the project. The job coordinates all matters regarding Project Operations and Management, Human Resource Management, Office Operation and Administration, Procurement, Travel and Conferencing, Communication and Dissemination, Protocol and Security. The functional responsibilities include liaison with the Ministries in charge of East African Community Affairs of the Partner States in respect of Immunities and privileges, manage transport, follow-up of supplies and orders for goods and services and manage general office services.
4.0 JOB DESCRIPTION
|Job Ref:||LVFO /HR/2022/01|
|Annual Salary||USD (basic =44,016.00 Housing=12000.00, Transport=3000.00) per annum|
|Other benefits||Attractive benefits including medical and education support, among others|
|Reports to:||Project Coordinator|
|Supervises:||Procurement Officer and all General Staff|
|Duty station:||Lake Victoria Fisheries Organization Secretariat
Plot 7B/E Bell Avenue, Jinja, Uganda
5.0 DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Project Operations and Administrative Officer / Principal Human Resource & Administrative Officer will have the following project specific and institute-wide duties and responsibilities:
A: PROJECT OPERATIONS AND MANAGEMENT
- In collaboration with the Project Coordinator, prepare a detailed work plan which identifies and sequences the activities needed to successfully implement and complete the project.
- Track, monitor and control expenses based on budgetary guidelines including preparation of budgets, and reporting on its performance
- Ensure project deliverables are met within a specified timeframe
- Ensure that Project operations, financial and administrative regulations and standard operating procedures are complied with.
- Provide support and guidance to project partners for efficient implementation of the Project.
- Draft ad-hoc progress reports and thematic reports and oversee the consultative process of their finalization and appropriate submission
- Organize meetings, workshops, seminars and general project events and act as the secretariat for the project
- Provide support and guidance to project partners for efficient implementation of the Project
- Devise efficient communication systems within and outside the project
- Responsible for all records keeping and Data Management System in line with project’s records-keeping rules
- Monitor the availability of accessories and stocks for project activities
- Monitor project travel schedules and coordinate travel logistics
- Maintain the working relationship with relevant implementing units, Partner State agencies and development partners
- Coordinate with relevant stakeholders in disseminating project implementation progress and achievements
- Backstop the Project Coordinator and act as Officer-in-Charge in his absence
B. HUMAN RESOURCE ROLES
- Administer recruitment, promotions, remunerations, leave, pensions, gratuity and Terminal benefits;
- Develop and implement the Organization’s staff induction manual and program
- Prepare Human Resource plan, Training Program and Career Development programmes that effectively meet the Organization’s capacity development objectives;
- Prepare and Manage Human Resource and Operational Budgets;
- Administer staff salaries and other staff remuneration;
- Manage staff leave roster and routinely monitor staff attendance and participation in field based activities;
- Administer the whole process of annual staff performance appraisal reviews;
- Formulate Human Resources Management Policies, Regulations and Procedures for the Organization in line with established EAC-LVFO staff Rules and Regulations and ensure their adherence.
- Interpret and implement Labour Laws and other directives and circulars;
- Coordinate the development of job descriptions and specifications for all new jobs in liaison with relevant officers.
- Liaise with relevant Ministries of the Host State on matters relating to staff immunities and privileges, and issuance of resident permits to staff
C. ADMINISTRATIVE ROLES
- Oversee general office management by setting up a filing system to ensure that all project information and documents are appropriately documented, kept and secured.
- Responsible for organizing administrative and logistical support to the organization (e.g. organize seminars, symposia and workshops);
- Prepare communication and information dissemination plan and ensure effective dissemination of information to key stakeholders within and outside the Project
- Monitor the availability of diverse organization tools and equipment including accessories and routinely consumable items;
- Supervise the implementation of local and international procurements including monitoring compliance with established procedures, according to applicable guidelines and project/organizational standards
- Manage any Project asset and ensure that periodic servicing, repairs and general maintenance is done
- Provide protocol services to visitors and dignitaries of the organization.
- In liaison with the DFA, develop and implement Security policies and procedures to guide and harmonize management of Security at the Secretariat, and advise management and staff on security matters;
- Plan and ensure efficient management of LVFO buildings and structures, Office facilities and transport fleet to facilitate adequate allocation of office space and mobility;
- In liaison with the DFA, coordinate, develop and implement conferencing and statutory meeting policy guidelines, standing orders and administrative procedures, facilitate conferencing and statutory management and staff meetings, coordinate distribution of relevant documentation and associated reports;
- Promote a positive corporate culture and image of the Organization;
- Initiate and follow up project procurement requirements based on the approved budget
- Liaise with the Procurement Unit to provide technical input and management support with the development of tender-related documents, and participate in bid evaluation as a User Department representative while referring to the established procurement policies and procedures.
- Support the Procurement officer attached to the project, develop and implement procurement plans and processes;
E. PROJECT MONITORING, EVALUATION AND REPORTING
- Support the M & E Officer attached to the Project to prepare progress reports as per the requirement of the Project
- Facilitate preparation of a funds requisition to the donor based on agreed project document timelines
F. OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Provide professional advice in all matters pertaining to Administration and Human Resource, and
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the relevant supervisor
6.0 REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, COMPETENCES AND EXPERIENCE
- A Master’s Degree from a recognized University in Project Planning and Management; Public/Business Administration; Management, Public Policy & Administration; Human Resource Management; or related discipline
- A Bachelors Degree from a recognized University in Project Planning and Management, Public/Business Administration; Management, Public Policy & Administration; Human Resource Management; or related discipline
- At least one of the two above or any additional formal training should be in Human Resource Management; Public/Business Administration or a post graduate qualification in the line of the Bachelors degree.
- All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognised by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective home countries. This condition is applicable for both locally and internationally attained qualifications.
6.2 Professional experience
- Should have at least eight (8) years of progressively responsible working experience in a reputable organization at comparable level, with at least three (3) years at senior management level.
- Specific experience in the execution of donor-funded programmes/projects in an international or regional organization, national government, or other public or private organizations will be an added advantage
- Experience in managing and supervising a team in a multicultural environment is an added advantage.
6.3 Other knowledge, additional competences
- Maintains a professional relationship and positive attitude with co-workers, stakeholders and management of LVFO and the EAC
- Should have good analytical, leadership, communication, negotiation and interpersonal skills
- Maintains the highest level of professional ethics and integrity
- Determine strategies to move the Project forward, set goals, create and implement action plans, and evaluate the process and results
- Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problem, and make decisions for effective implementation of the Project
- A team player and system oriented that works with minimal supervision.
- Very good working knowledge of computer use (e.g. MS Office) and general IT applications
- Very good written and oral knowledge of English.
7.0 CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
The Contract period is for an initial three (3) year term with a possibility for extention up to five (5) years. The first term is subject to a six (6) months’ probation, before confirmation upon satisfactory performance.
Eligibility is restricted to candidates from the EAC/LVFO Partner States (The Republics of Burundi, Kenya, Uganda and the United Republic of Tanzania).
7.2 Language requirement
Proficiency in English language is a necessary requirement.
7.3 Age Requirement
Must be preferably below 50 years at the time of application
7.4 Equal Opportunity
The LVFO/EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. LVFO will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
8. APPLICATION PROCEDURE
Only online applications will be processed as detailed on the LVFO Website:
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned position are advised to:
Upload signed application letter, a detailed CV, Copies of certified academic certificates, and a copy of National Identity Card or Passport in PDF format as directed on the website.
To start applying now, please click “Apply Now” button which appears up or down, right hand side of this page, and carefully follow the steps/instructions.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than 6th May 2022 at 17:00hours Local time
8.1 Guideline on Submission
You can only submit your application electronically. No hard copy application will be considered. Applications which do not:
- indicate nationality and age;
- have the reference number;
- have a signed application letter attached
- have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates;
- or fail to provide three referees
will be disqualified.
8.2 Shortlisting and Due Diligence
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please note that LVFO/EAC does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process. All invitations for interviews will be done in writing.
A due diligence will be conducted for all successful candidates in respect of their academic certificates (certification by a recognized higher education body in respective Partner States) and employment records.
The Executive Secretary – LVFO
Plot 7B/E Bell Avenue,
P. O. Box 1625 Jinja, Uganda.
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for submitting the application is 06 May 2022.