Website Results for Development (R4D)
Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve results for development, too.
We have a unique and vibrant culture at R4D. Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our work environment and help advance our mission. Diversity—of ideas, identities, perspectives and backgrounds—is vital to who we are and what we do. We seek people who embrace these values and will help reinforce them. Our work culture is collaborative, creative and entrepreneurial. We operate based on trust and respect. Teams across the organization frequently collaborate on programmatic work and support each other in continuously building a better R4D.
R4D seeks a highly motivated and dynamic Senior Program Officer to play a key role on the Tanzania Frontier Health Markets Engage (FHM Engage) activity.
FHM Engage is a global cooperative agreement to provide technical assistance supporting local actors to improve the ability of health markets to meet supply-side capacity gaps and consumer preferences, contributing to equitable provision of and access to high-quality family planning and other health services and products in mixed health systems. Led by Chemonics, with R4D as co-technical lead, alongside Pathfinder International and Zenysis Technologies, FHM Engage will work through 16 local, regional, and specialized network implementation partners (NIPs) to deliver lasting results. Building on over 30 years of USAID investment, FHM Engage focuses on strengthening local health markets by addressing the root causes of market failures in the core market functions to create the necessary behavior change that catalyzes supply and demand and supports sustainable change. In Tanzania, FHM Engage aims to increase private sector contributions to achieving national objectives related to voluntary family planning, maternal, newborn, child health, and adolescent, tuberculosis, HIV/AIDs, malaria, and/or other infectious diseases.
As a Senior Program Officer on Tanzania FHM Engage, you will provide technical support to the Tanzania FHM Engage portfolio of work aimed at increasing access to HIV, RMNCAH (including Family Planning) and Malaria products and services. You will ensure that appropriate synergies are leveraged across FHM workstreams in your support to the Senior Technical Advisor, Products and Senior Technical Advisor, Services and you will work closely with local and global stakeholders to achieve the program’s objectives. The ideal candidate will have an understanding of market shaping and market systems approaches across products and services; be a highly motivated and creative problem solver; have strong analytical, communication, and collaboration skills; and have a commitment to excellence and producing results. We are a team that is resourceful, responsible, tenacious, high-energy, and always has a positive attitude.
This full-time position is based in Dar es Salaam and reports to the FHM Engage Tanzania Senior Technical Advisor for Products.
Lead internal and external partner engagement
- Effectively represent Tanzania FHM Engage Products portfolio in Tanzania externally and within R4D, actively collaborating with others in the organization.
- Actively cultivate new relationships and effectively manage key ongoing relationships with partners in Tanzania, including at the national and sub-national levels of government and private sector associations. (e.g., the Ministry of Health, Medical Stores Department (MSD), Pharmacy Council, Tanzania Medicine and Medical Devices Authority (TMDA), the President’s Office – Regional Administrator and Local Government (PO-RALG/TAMISEMI), supply chain actors, NGOs, private sector importers, distributors, wholesalers, and associations, and USAID/Tanzania and other donors)
- Participate in various technical working groups – and where needed, support the establishment of new value-added ones
- Support the identification and cultivation of strategic partnerships across, and between, the public and private sectors in Tanzania to support access to RMNCAH, HIV and malaria commodities and services
- Develop knowledge management and communication materials to promote the dissemination and uptake of Tanzania FHM Engage work in Tanzania and globally
Conduct high quality and timely analytical work
- Support the development of technical strategies as part of the FHM Engage technical framework to drive market introduction and scale-up of products and services across the public and private sectors in Tanzania
- Structure analytical problems and conduct in-depth and complex qualitative and quantitative research and analyses, including critical review of literature and interviews with experts, to identify bottlenecks in public and private RMNCAH, HIV and malaria commodity and services markets
- Lead the drawing of technical insights from analyses and conceptualize the development of high quality, creative and actionable government, donor, and partner-facing documents, ensuring timeliness of all deliverables
- Support the navigation between different technical approaches and various entrenched views to facilitate common understanding of Tanzania FHM Engage technical vision around increasing access to products and services amongst public and private stakeholders
Effectively implement activities and contribute to the organization
- Develop project work plans and execute activities in timely manner, including proactively and creatively managing problems that arise and anticipating ways to avoid them
- Manage implementation of trainings, meetings, supportive supervision visits, etc., as necessary, and continually reflect on experiences and suggest and implement improvements.
- Contribute to the continued evolution of a positive and collaborative team culture that affirms diversity, equity and inclusion
- Engage fully as a member of the R4D staff team, including participating in staff meetings and other R4D events, and providing administrative support to other team members as needed
- Optimally use human, financial, and physical resources to successfully meet project milestones, objectives, deliverables, and targets
- Undertake all activities in full compliance with standard operating procedures, USAID policies and regulations, and Tanzanian laws and R4D policies and procedures
- Other duties as assigned
- Master’s degree and at least seven years of relevant experience
- Experience conducting market analysis, developing product introduction/scale-up strategies, and/or expanding access to healthcare, specifically in low- and middle-income countries
- Experience working with Tanzanian public and private health sector actors, such as with the Tanzania Medicine and Medical Devices Authority (TMDA), Accredited Drug Dispensing Outlets (ADDOs,) President’s Office – Regional Administration and Local Government (PO-RALG), Ministry of Health, etc.
- Experience working with USAID/Tanzania is preferred
- Demonstrated experience leading the development of high-quality qualitative and quantitative analysis from conceptualization to completion and leveraging that analysis to drive action by decision-makers for ultimate impact
- Track record of building trust, forging partnerships, and conducting advocacy across a wide variety of stakeholders across public and private sector
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to develop highly professional work products and present complicated analyses in accessible and compelling manners
- Ability to think strategically, handle ambiguity and work in a fast-paced, open-structure, multicultural environment
- Ability to travel within Tanzania
- Written and verbal fluency in Kiswahili and English required
Please note, this position will be based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Tanzania nationals are encouraged to apply. This position includes a local benefits package and does not include international relocation or expatriate benefits.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.